Beginner’s Free Motion Ruler Quilting
Learn how to use specialty quilting rulers to achieve incredibly smooth lines, curves, and motifs with your home sewing machine. Ensure you have the correct Ruler Quilting foot for your machine for this class. A variety of rulers will be available during the class for experimenting.
What do you need to bring?
- Sewing machine in good working order, foot control and power lead
- Sewing machine manual
- Extension table for your machine (if you have one)
- Ruler foot- MUST be the correct Ruler foot for your machine (please check prior to class)
- Machine quilting rulers suitable for your foot (we will have some here for you to use also)
- A nine patch with border as per the following instructions:
Cut 4 – 4 ½” x 4 ½” light solid fabric squares and 5 -4 ½” x 4 ½” medium solid fabric squares, sew together in a nine patch design
Cut 2 x 12 ½’ x 5 ½” strips (either light or medium) sew to opposite sides of the nine patch
Cut 2 x 22 ½” strips- sew to the remaining sides to create a nine patch with a border all around and press well
- Thread- any fun colour that will show on your fabric, machine needles to suit thread. 50 or 60 weight thread – solid or variegated
- Quilting gloves (optional but does help)
- Sew Slip mat (optional but does help)
- Drawing paper and pencil
- Water soluble fabric marker
If you are unable to make the sandwich quilt please let us know as soon as possible so we can have them ready for you prior to class. There will be an extra charge if you want us to prepare them for you.